Welcome to Spaghetti Eis Co! Today, we are excited to share with you a delicious and refreshing recipe for peppermint frozen custard. This creamy and minty dessert is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re looking for a sweet treat to cool down on a hot summer day or a festive dessert to serve during the holiday season. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic kitchen tools, you can whip up this delightful frozen custard in no time. So, let’s get started and indulge in the cool and refreshing flavors of peppermint! We’ve made this peppermint frozen custard recipe easy to follow 👨🍳.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- Combine 2 cups of heavy cream, 1 cup of whole milk, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 6 egg yolks. Slowly pour about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from cooking.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Churn the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. During the last few minutes of churning, add 1/2 cup of crushed peppermint candy. Transfer the custard to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve and enjoy!
How long does peppermint frozen custard last in the fridge?
Peppermint frozen custard can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week after cooking. It is important to store the custard in an airtight container to prevent it from absorbing any odors or flavors from other foods in the fridge. Before storing, allow the custard to cool to room temperature and then cover it with plastic wrap or a lid. When ready to serve, simply remove the custard from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften before scooping. It is not recommended to freeze the custard as it may become icy and lose its creamy texture.
Low calorie peppermint frozen custard recipe substitutions
To make this peppermint frozen custard recipe lower in calories, there are a few substitutions that can be made. First, you could use low-fat milk instead of whole milk to reduce the fat content. Second, you could use a sugar substitute like stevia or Splenda instead of granulated sugar to reduce the calorie content. Third, you could use a lower-fat alternative to heavy cream, such as half-and-half or evaporated milk. Finally, you could reduce the amount of crushed peppermint candy used in the recipe to further reduce the calorie content. By making these substitutions, you can create a lower-calorie version of this delicious dessert without sacrificing too much flavor.
What to serve with a peppermint frozen custard?
Peppermint frozen custard is a delicious and refreshing dessert that pairs well with a variety of toppings and accompaniments. For a classic combination, serve the custard with a drizzle of hot fudge sauce and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes. Alternatively, you could top the custard with fresh berries or a dollop of whipped cream for a lighter touch. For a more indulgent treat, consider serving the custard alongside a warm brownie or chocolate cake. No matter how you choose to serve it, peppermint frozen custard is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Whats the best sauce for a peppermint frozen custard?
When it comes to peppermint frozen custard, the best sauce to complement its cool and refreshing flavor is a rich and decadent hot fudge sauce. The sweetness and creaminess of the fudge sauce perfectly balances the minty freshness of the custard, creating a deliciously indulgent dessert. For an extra festive touch, you can also add a drizzle of peppermint syrup or crushed candy canes on top of the fudge sauce. This combination of flavors and textures is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth and leave your taste buds wanting more.
Peppermint frozen custard health benefits
Peppermint frozen custard can have some health benefits. Peppermint is known to aid in digestion and can help alleviate symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Additionally, peppermint has anti-inflammatory properties and can help relieve headaches and muscle pain. However, frozen custard is typically high in sugar and fat, which can be detrimental to overall health if consumed in excess. If you’re looking for a healthier recipe, you might consider making a fruit sorbet instead. Sorbet is typically lower in fat and sugar than frozen custard and can be made with a variety of fruits to provide a range of vitamins and minerals.
Check out other popular ice cream and spaghetti eis makers below!